Growing up in an Italian family pizza or pasta was on our dinner menu every week–no joke! I didn’t mind because I love both and if you ask me to choose…I don’t think I can. The great thing about this recipe is that you don’t have to either! You can have your pizza and eat your pasta, too. Spaghetti squash is such an inexpensive ingredient and you can get 3-4 dinner’s out of this bad boy. Squash is much lower in carbohydrates than your regular pasta noodles and packs more nutrition and fiber, too. I hope you try this out for your next Italian dinner night!
Spaghetti Squash Pizza Bowls
Servings: 3-4 entree sizes
- I medium spaghetti squash
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup peppers
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- Italian sausage (vegetarian)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Microwave spaghetti squash for 2 minutes and then slice in half using a sharp knife.
- Scoop out the seeds and rub with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place face down on a lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Remove from oven and fluff insides with a fork.
- Add your sauteed veggies, cheese, and favorite sauce to each of the halves.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
This dish can be eaten straight from the spaghetti squash boats or plated in a bowl. Enjoy!