The other day when I was running, I got asked the question “What should you eat before and after a workout?” More importantly, if you’re training for a race or exercising for over 60 minutes at moderate to high intensity, “what should you eat during a workout?”
I’ve rounded up some of my favorite snacks and eats when I’m literally on the move! Find out what works best for YOU! Try out some different snacks to see how your body responds, preferably not on race day!
A couple things to keep in mind:
* Eat around 30 grams of carbohydrates 60 minutes before your workout.
*If you’re eating a meal, eat 3-4 hours before your workout. Avoid high fat, greasy and spicy foods.
*Post workout fuel– aim for 30 grams of carbohydrates and 15 grams of protein within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.
Pre-workout snack/meal ideas:
* 1 piece of toast with 1 Tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 banana
* 1/2 cup cottage cheese + fresh fruit
* Bagel with cream cheese
* Fresh fruit and cheese
*Hard boiled egg
* ½-full protein bar (My favorites are RX Bars, Square Organics, Zing Bars, Luna Bars, Lara Bars)
* Greek yogurt with granola or fresh fruit
* Protein smoothie
* Rice cakes with peanut butter
On the go eats:
* Dried fruit
* Gummy Bears
* Jelly Beans or sports beans (Jelly Belly Extreme)
*Gu Stroopwafel (I have not tried this myself, but my running friends rave about this product!)
Post workout snack ideas:
*Egg and cheese sandwich
*Turkey and avocado wrap
*Cottage cheese and fresh fruit
*Fruit and protein smoothie
*Trail mix and fruit
*Peanut butter toast